Hey everyone,today my objective is to help you (1) Cut down (2) Stop being overcharged (3) Easily Learn and (4) Take Control of all your graphic design needs with this all in one online graphic designing platform.
Weather you a stay at home parent,small business owner,entreprenuer,affiliate marketer,freelance graphic designer or just someone looking to spice up their social media profiles with vivid images and story telling .
Canva is built just for you !
Lets dig in and see what all the hype is about.
Create Graphic Designs Online – Free and Paid Versions
Being someone that crafted a career in print and media I have had countless opportunities to use the multiple graphic design softwares available . Hence my initial hesitation to trying out Canva ,I was old school a true believer in packages such as Adobe Illustrator,Adobe Photoshop and Coral Draw which I still maintain are neccessary to the life of a designer especially for more sophisticated visuals .
Keyword being sophisticated here,luckily for us Canva is the in between which gives us access to a easier drag and drop design builder and can be learnt in under 30min for begginers . Built to enable one to design anything from printables,pdfs,invoices,infographics,flyers,company profiles websites,youtube intros,invitations,t-shirts e.t.c .
Canva Starter –
- 250,000+ free templates
- 100+ design types (social media posts, presentations, letters, and more)
- Hundreds of thousands of free photos and graphics
- Invite members to your team
- Collaborate and comment in real-time
- 5GB of cloud storage
- You can buy any images for $1 on the free version
- Access to all pro features first month only
- N/B – Best suited for creatives that do 10 – 15 designs monthly
Canva Pro –
- Everything Free has, plus:
- 75+ million premium stock photos, videos, audio and graphics
- 420,000+ free templates with new designs daily
- Create 1 Brand Kit and upload your own fonts and logos
- Unlimited use of Background Remover
- Resize designs infinitely with Magic Resize
- Save designs as templates for your team to use
- 100GB of cloud storage
- Schedule social media content to 8 platforms
- From $12.95 monthly or $119.99 yearly
- Ideal for those who create more creatives for personal ,business or clients INCLUDING VIDEO ads/youtube channel mocks and storylines with sound and the ability to import your own fonts (as long as you have the license)
Canva Enterprise –
- Everything Pro has, plus:
- Establish your brand’s visual identity with logos, colors and fonts across multiple Brand Kits
- Control your team’s access to apps, graphics, colors, logos and fonts with brand controls
- Control team uploads into Canva
- Built-in workflows to get approval on your designs
- Set which elements your team can edit, and stay on-brand with template locking
- Unlimited storage
- Single-sign on (SSO)
- 24/7 Enterprise-level support
- Ideally for agencies or freelancers with an overwhelming work load
- Access to multiple brand kits (color pallates,logos etc for each creative)
- Priced from $30.00 monthly
Note – Canva is free for classrooms and non-profits
Top Features – All Things Design
- Photo effects to improve photos ,flip,crop,add,filters,adjust brightness/contrast,saturation,tintplus much more. A effects tab that allows you to liquify,glitch,slice,duotone,colormix and remove backgrounds.
- Access to photos,videos and templates from the platform itself and if you still have not found that ideal image/video you can easily search Pexels,Pixabay,DropBox,Google drive e.t.c .
- Get access to elements such as icons,shapes,frames,stickers,charts,gradientsgraphics,grids e.t.c
- A font library that consists of 100’s of fonts ,guides to font pairs and dozens of sophisticated fonts
- As previosly mentioned it has a easy to use drag and drop editor with thousands of templates wher you can easily change colors,tranparencies,text,alignments and own each creative within minutes
- Animation effects like photo zoom,rise,float,breathe,fade,pan,and tumble all available on the free version. Effects such as drift,stomp,tectonic,baseline,pop,neon and scrapbook are pro features .
- Publish and schedule your posts directly to your social media accounts like Facebook,Instagram,Twitter,Slack,Tumbir e.t.c
- Content Planner and Brand Kits which allow you to save color pallates,fonts and titles for all your content
- My all time fav is the unlimited amount of easy to follow tutorials in the design school covering numerous topics to name a few social media mastery,personal branding,presentations to impress from the experts e.t.c
Disadvantages – The Downside To Canva
- Cannot create unique elements meaning you limited to the collection of elements within the platform and can not design or draw your own as is the norm with packages like Photoshop and Coral draw
- Photos and Templates appear generic especially on the starter pack
- I have to mention it is not the best photo editor
- Is really hard to use especially on small screens (make sure you got a good size screen mobile phone)
- Layers are tedious to edit as you have to manually move a layer to access the one beneath it whereas in photoshop you can select layers from your sidebar
- You have to be online or have access to the internet to use canva (prefferably a stable relatively fast internet connection)
*Tip* – Keep your head up its not as bad as you think after all these negatives it still packs a punch and will get almost any design done and published or ready to print in minutes.
Is Canva Suited For Me ?
Yes ! it is whether you a freelancer,just starting up a business (traditional or online),a student,stay at home parent,entreprenuer,social media junkie or heck someone looking to learn a new skill,this platform will meet your needs with relative ease and at a relatively affordable price for pro or enterprise.
Honestly speaking you probably seen a post or a advert on facebook or instagram and were like “I need to get one of those done for me” ,SPOILER ALERT it was most probably done using Canva . So why not give it a try chances are you will not be dissappointed .
Up your game with vivid Images ,compelling stories or start writing your first ebook. With so many options at your fingertips get on it after all IMAGE IS EVERYTHING !
Graphic Designing – A Ever Growing Demand & Need
To help put further context to the importance of creatives I have compiled a list of interesting facts that will hopefully help you see the need and importance of graphic visuals
Denying it is fruitless, visual graphics BRING OUT specific emotions and can help your business & social profile appeal to the largest audience possible.
- $45.8 billion – global graphic designers market size in 2021. (IBISWorld, 2020)
- Owing to the growing graphic design market size, there were 281,500 graphic designer jobs in the US in 2019. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2019)
- Freelance graphic designers earn $20 to $150 per hour. (Eksposure, 2020)
- 94% of consumers will leave a website with poor graphic design. (Red Website Design, 2018)
- The human brain processes visuals 60,000 times faster than it processes text. This is the reason why many brands add a visual or a glyph to their logo. (Crowdspring, 2017)
- 18% of small businesses are ready to spend up to $1,000 for a logo design. On the other hand, a whopping 67% of small businesses are ready to spend up to $500 for a logo design. (Red Website Design, 2018)
- Better still, social media posts that feature visual assets like images deliver a 650% higher engagement rate than plain text posts. (Red Website Design, 2018)
Some staggering statistics they are ! But I want you to think about how much you spend monthly on visuals and the headache of getting your designer to see what you seeing,to enable him/her to adequately portray your message filled with the emotion you hope to ignite in your clients.
After you answer yourself honestly,do the math stop being lazy and get to doing your own creatives with a technical-know-how FREE design tool that will both save you money and give you great value.
A Final Word – Live Empowered
“IMAGE IS EVERYTHING” a phrase I have fallen in love with and found to be true well atleast in the context of first impressions matter and naturally the over whelming stats that prove we our emotions are triggered by what we see more than what we hear and read .
It has been an pleasure compiling this article for you and I certainly hope I have given you insight and useful information. Should you have any questions ,valuable inputs and past or present experiance using Canva please I mean please place them in the comments section and I will get back to you there .
Let me leave you with a short but informative video on canva done by Marley Jaxx that I found really helpful
To your continued success